Symptoms of menopause can vary greatly and for some they can be significant and overwhelming.
Menopause is a natural part of life. It is defined as the time when a woman stops having periods and can no longer reproduce. Typically, menopause occurs between the ages of 45 and 55; the average age of menopause in the UK is 51*. Menopause that occurs before the age of 40 is considered premature menopause.
Menopause is characterised by three stages:
- Perimenopause – the years leading up to menopause when the ovaries gradually produce less estrogen
- Menopause – when a women stops menstruating
- Postmenopause – the years after menopause when symptoms reduce. A lack of estrogen can pose health risks in postmenopausal women.
Symptoms of menopause can vary greatly and for some they can be significant and overwhelming. Symptoms can develop during the perimenopausal stage and include:
- Mood swings (irritability, depression, anxiety) – Hot flashes – Night sweats –Vaginal dryness
- Loss of libido – Sleep disturbances ( insomnia)
- Irregular periods are normal during perimenopause.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and want to talk them through, one of our friendly and highly-qualified GPs will be able to help. Our women’s health expert Dr Rupa Parmar will take the time to listen to you and understand your symptoms, she can also carry out a range of tests to help identify perimenopause, and offer advice and guidance on how to cope.
HRT is a treatment used to relieve symptoms by replacing low hormone levels, in turn reducing the risk of various chronic conditions. It’s available as gels, patches, tablets or implants, and can:
- Help balance your oestrogen and progesterone hormones around the time of your menopause
- Help relieve common menopausal discomforts like sweating and hot flashes
- Reduce your risk of developing diabetes
- Prevent further bone density loss and reduce the risk of fractures
- Slightly reduce your risk of bowel cancer.
If you would like to discuss any issues regarding the menopause, our specialist GP, Dr Rupa Parmar and her team, will be only too happy to help. A consultation costs £55.
Menopause health screen
We also offer a comprehensive menopause health screen (performed by one of our GPs) that will confirm whether you are perimenopausal, menopausal or postmenopausal.
Further details can be found here: *https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/menopause/
We’d love to help you with your healthcare needs. So let us know a few details and the reason why you’d like to see us on the form below, and we’ll get back to you quickly. We’ll arrange an appointment that’s works around you, helping to put your mind at rest. You can also give us a call on 0121 728 8366 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.